Staff pension requirements
Every employer in the UK must put certain staff into a workplace pension scheme and contribute towards it. This is called ‘automatic enrolment’. If you employ at least one person you are an employer and you have certain legal duties.
We can help you to:
- Categorise employees
- Choose and appropriate earnings definition
- Select and Install an appropriate Workplace Pension Scheme
- Communicate the scheme to employees
- Ensure you have the processes in place to comply with your requirements on an ongoing basis.
Putting in place a scheme may mean you meet your legal obligations, but we provide much more than just and installation and compliance service. Ongoing advice and communication with employees can really add value and ensure employees appreciate the benefit you are providing. It can also offer them an opportunity to discuss their wider financial planning needs and ultimately, an employee that is confident that they and their family are well cared for in the long term or if some unexpected event were to happen is likely to be more content and more productive.
Ongoing advice services apply to you as the employer too; we will ensure you are kept up to date with legislative, technical and tax changes and that you are made aware of any information you need to know to ensure you remain compliant.
Salary Exchange offers savings to employers and employees
In addition to the above, we can also advise on Salary Exchange, a way of arranging contributions into an Auto-Enrolment scheme that is extremely tax efficient for both employer and employee. Essentially it works as follows:
- An employee agrees to give up part of their salary or bonus in exchange for a pension payment paid by their employer.
- Employers pay lower NICs as a result of paying their employees a reduced salary.
- Employees also pay lower NICs and possibly less income tax.
- Employers are free to use their NIC saving how they wish. Some might use a portion of it to cover the costs of providing ongoing advice to scheme members, some may supplement their employees’ pension plans.
- Employees can use their savings to boost their pension provision or increase their take home pay.
Employers can’t make an agreement for salary exchange a pre-condition for auto-enrolment, but with proper employee communication, our experience is the process works well and is taken up by employees willingly.
It is important that employers set up Salary Exchange arrangements correctly to ensure HMRC accept them for what they are but we can help with this process and member communication including explanatory meetings.
We value long term relationships with our clients; but what do our clients say about us?
I have relied on the help and advice of Hammond Raggett for over 30years. I have always found the level of professionalism and quality of service very reassuring. Now retired, I feel confident that l am in the best possible situation with regards to my finances thanks to them. I am only too happy to recommend the company to anyone who is looking to start planning for their future.”